CIHC is one of 39 NHL Hockey is For Everyone programs and is affiliated with the Columbus Blue Jackets organization. We serve over 3,000 youth per year in our Learn to Play Hockey, Learn to Skate, and hockey team programs, with more than 65% of our participants being minority and more than 30% are female.
CIHC started in 1999 and focuses on providing on-ice and off-ice opportunities for youth in the Central Ohio area. In partnership with the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, the NHL, the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation, CAHA, the Chillers, and CCYHA, CIHC has been providing year-round ice skating and ice hockey instruction for more than 30,000 program participants. We also provide off-ice programming for club participants in the areas of conditioning, academic support, violence prevention, and community service.
Columbus Ice Hockey Club offers multiple programs for the youth player starting at 3 years old (Learn to Skate/Learn to Play) to High School age. We are based out of the Columbus Fairgrounds so our program traditionally starts on November 1 with team practices commencing for most age groups in mid-late October. We have the following offerings:
teams that play a modified house league schedule:
- Mini-Mite (U6) - games consist of Jamborees only
- Mite (U8) - games consist mostly of jamborees with a few games against local house teams from other organizations
- Squirt Minor and Major (U10) - Participate with Columbus House Hockey League teams in 1/2 ice games and cross ice Jamborees
- Pee Wee Minor and Major (u12) - Participate in the Columbus House Hockey League
- Bantam Minor and Major (u14) - Participate in the Columbus House Hockey League
- Midget Development (U16) - Participate with our JV team practices games with select area teams
- 1 JV Hockey team (9th grade or above) that plays in the Ohio Scholastic Hockey League formerly known as the GCHSCHL (Greater Columbus High School Club Hockey League)
- A Girl’s specific hockey program for U14, U16 and U19 level
- Learn to Skate program from 3-18 years old
- Learn to Play Hockey program from 3-18 years old